There is a story behind this dish, Pasta alla Norma. It is originally from Catania, Sicily. Back at the time when dinner was served during the opera show, the cook invented the dish of pasta with eggplants. “Norma” is the name of the opera, written by Vincenzo Bellini. This particular dish was served during “Norma” show… finally it is named “Pasta alla Norma” after the famous opera from Sicily.
1 clove garlic
4 large tomatoes
80 grams of Ricotta Salata Cheese, grated
400 grams of Pasta (Maccheroni or Penne)
10 basil leaves
Preparing the Ingredients
Eggplant – Slice the eggplant and place on a cutting board propped on a slant, cover with salt and leave under a weight for one hour until the bitter water comes out. Then chop to bite size.
Tomatoes – peeled, diced, and seeded
Garlic – chopped
- In a large skillet, brown the garlic in olive oil, add the tomatoes and salt.
- Bring to a simmer over low heat and continue cooking, stirring occasionally.
- Add basil leaves, salt and pepper as you like.
- Add chopped eggplant. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- At the mean time, cook the pasta until it is almost done.
- Add pasta to the simmering sauce (eggplants, tomatoes, etc.)
- Toss in the skillet until all the ingredients mixed well.
- Add grated Ricotta Salata, and place on the dish
- Garnish with a few basil leaves, … now the dish is ready to serve!
Preparing the Ingredients:
Cooking – Pasta alla Norma
Pasta alla Norma – ready to serve!
You can create a romantic dinner at home — with a famous Italian dish — “Pasta alla Norma”.
So yummmm! So good!